Spring Mason Jar Salad
I recently started a new position in an office (oh, hi 9-5) and on my first day I happily lugged a 15 pound tote of snacks up two flights of stairs. I’m super jazzed about my new job, but my snack drawer enthusiasm might rival it. My desk has all the fixin’s of a properly fueled work day: nut butters, toasted seeds, dark chocolate bars, crispy chickpeas and, of course, finishing salt. I also brought a set of beautiful ceramics and flatware to remind me to enjoy my break and be mindful when eating (which I highly recommend).
But snack drawers are just the beginning. Each evening I’ve been preparing and packing my mid-day meal for the following day with great gusto. This week’s mason jar salad of sugar snap peas, quinoa (complete protein, ya’ll), chickpeas, greens, crumbly vegan cheese and a zesty herb-filled dressing has been one of my favorite lunch al desko creations. Mason jar salads basically saved my life throughout graduate school, and I’m going to keep leaning on them as I transition to the flow of a more consistent work/play balance. Try the Spring-forward rendition below!
Makes: Makes 4 Jars
Cook time: 20 minutes
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cup chopped Tuscan kale
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup vegan cheese (I used Kite Hill)
- ½ cup radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, thinly cut on a vertical
- 1 can drained and rinsed chickpeas
- Whisk all ingredients for dressing in a medium bowl. Toss half of dressing with quinoa and dill, toss the other half with kale and shallots.
- Build mason jar salads layering quinoa, kale mixture, cheese, chickpeas, radishes and sliced sugar snap peas.